Well, you must have heard about the keto diet, especially as a fitness trend. Basically, keto is believed to expose the body into the continuous burning of the body fats because of the associated rule of low carbs.
According to most of the research, it is capable of metabolizing fats of up to 10 times compared to the American standard diet.
However, there is a lot of confusion about the keto diet trend. Just like any other diet that has to be followed, keto diet also comes with its pros and cons.
Also known as ketogenic diet, it is famous for stimulating the process of ketosis.
Ketosis refers to a process in which the body is forced into breaking down fat to produce fuel.
The process encompasses ketones compounds that circulate around the body in your blood and stand in place of carbs, which is one of your body’s most preferable energy.
The reason as to why keto diet is effective in helping one to lose weight is because it can easily achieve ketosis which ultimately enables you to achieve the goals of your weight loss.
According to the explanation on men’s health by Andy De Santis, a registered dietician from Toronto, “is that to achieve ketosis means that your body has to get used to fat and burn them at a higher rate than it is expected.”
Therefore, most of the researches have proved that keto diet increases satiety, keeps one full for a longer period and reduces hunger cravings.
Keto Diet Food List :
Most types of seafood are low in carbs or have no carb at all. Shellfish and fish are also the best sources of minerals, vitamins, and the omega-3s.
The total amount of carbs in vegetables that are not starchy range from 1 -8 grams on every cup. Vegetables are highly nutritious, versatile and could highly reduce the risks of diseases.
Cheese is highly rich in calcium, protein and essential fatty acids and also contains a very small amount of carbs.
These contain at least 2 grams of carbs per each serving and are very high in fiber and many other nutrients which include potassium. They may help a lot in improving the heart health markers.
These contain less than 1 gram of carbs which is sufficient to keep you full for a long period. They are rich in various nutrients and are efficient in protecting the heart and eye.
Coconut oil contains MCTs and increases the production of ketone. It may also increase the rate at which metabolism takes place and pushing for the loss of belly fat and weight.
Nuts and Seeds
Seeds and nuts are essential for the health of the heart. They are high in fiber and are likely to lead to a healthier aging. They offer net carb per ounce that ranges between from 0 to 8.
Cream and Butter
These are almost carb free and they seem to have neutral or beneficial effects on the health of your heart when taken in moderation.
Unsweetened Coffee and Tea
This type of tea and coffee do contain carbs. They help to improve the metabolic rate as well as mental and physical performance. They also help to lower the risk of diabetes. Other types of food associated with keto diet include:
-Cheese -Meat and poultry -Cottage cheese and plain Greek yogurt -Olive oil -Berries -Butter and cream -Shirataki noodles -Cocoa powder and dark chocolate
5 Myths you need to know about Keto diet
With Keto diet trending all over, the world, in magazines, forums and in gym conversations, a lot have been said, which aren’t true although there is that, which is true.
The following are myths surrounding the efficiency and effectiveness of Keto diet.
- It is dangerous. Everything has got its disadvantages, although we may not conclude that keto diet is inherently harmful. On daily basis, health lists their potential downsides which include mineral and vitamin deficiency, kidney stones, reduced density of bone mineral, distress of gastrointestinal and high risk of cholesterol and other heart-related diseases. To avoid such potential downsides, stay hydrated, and ensure you hit your daily macros.
- Beginning keto means no consumption of alcohol. Wine and beer are heavy on carbohydrate, although there are several options you need to pick in order to continue with the intake of alcohol while under keto diet. Most of the liquors, light beers, and dry wines are very low on carb, which is highly friendly in keto. Well, alcohol is not totally out of the question, although you need to be cautious about what you choose, and be careful when you take alcohol while undergoing keto diet.
- Fasting has to accompany ketogenic diet. You are not required to do fasting. It is not recommended for you to incorporate fasting into the keto diet until you get used to the process which includes reducing the levels of carb intake. However, fasting while under keto diet has several associated benefits. It may increase the rate at which you lose weight, detoxification and also helps in controlling your cravings and hunger.
- You have to stay away from the workout. You don’t necessarily need to stop exercising when you start keto diet, but it is very true that you have to change the way you undergo your workouts. Since keto is associated with a great change on your body, you are likely not to feel at best for the first few weeks or days. The benefits associated with a workout while on ketosis diet is: maintenance of blood glucose, increased fat burn and reduced fatigue with sustained activity.
- It is high on Protein. This is not true. According to the perfect keto, you should at least get 20% of the protein, 5% from carbohydrates, and 75% of daily calories from fat. According to the intake dietary reference, adults should get 10 -35% of daily calories which are all extracted from protein. This means that a high percentage of your calories are extracted from food rich in protein.
A ketogenic diet will help one to achieve goals of blood sugar control, weight loss, and other health-related goals.
Fortunately, it includes different and good varieties of tasty, nutritious and adaptable foods that will enable you to stay within the range of your daily carbs.