Spirulina and Its Health Benefits. How To Get This Super-food Into Your Diet.
Spirulina is a cyanobacterium in the form of a natural algae powder and it is incredibly enriched in protein.
It’s also considered a really good source of antioxidants and Vitamin B. It grows in a freshwater as well as salty lakes.
Also known as super-food, if reaped from uncontaminated water bodies, it’s is one of the most enriched nutrient sources on the planet.
Due to its high iron content, it is recommended to vegetarians. In general, it’s mainly composed of protein and amino acids.
High protein and iron concentration in Spirulina makes it an ideal booster during pregnancy, after pregnancy or anytime the immune system needs a boost.
Benefits of Spirulina:
Although, it’s not taste friendly, it has the following great health benefits:
Nutrient Dense Food
It’s considered the most nutrient dense food ever discovered and is mainly due to the high concentrations of protein and vitamins.
- Protein: With a net protein utilization rate of 50-60%, it is as enriched as an egg.
- Vitamin B1: Another nutrient in Spirulina is Vitamin B1, which is eminent for the digestion of fats and proteins. It also improves brain’s and eyes’ health and hence, nerve functioning.
- Iron: Iron is in high concentrations in Spirulina and is more gentle and absorbable in the digestive system.
Balance Blood Sugar
As per the research, Spirulina is really effective in balancing blood sugar and in some cases, in the treatment of diabetes.
It lowers blood sugar levels as well as HbA1c, which is a marker of blood sugar levels.
The research suggests that Spirulina is effective in treating allergies and allergic reactions.
Spirulina has a tendency to reduce inflammation that can result in the reduction of nasal congestion, sneezing and sometimes itching.
Spirulina contains some antioxidants e.g. phycocyanin, which is an anti-inflammatory agent and is capable of protecting cells from damage.
Removal of Heavy Metals
Spirulina has a binding ability with other heavy metals and toxins in the body. Removal of these toxins can result in improved blood circulation and boosted immune system.
Muscle Endurance Benefits
Spirulina can increase fat burning and restricts muscle fatigue and inability to gain muscles.
The extreme health benefits of Spirulina makes it a Super-food for patients and even healthy people who want to become even healthier. It can normally be taken in two ways:
- Spirulina Powder: It gives a really strong flavor but it’s a cheaper solution
- Spirulina Capsule: In the form “EnergyBits”, small portable tablets are available in the market which are not unpleasant and are easy to take.