Ever feel rushed to talk to your doctor, get all your questions answered, or even find some sort of a solution before they kick you out the door?
What about how long it can take to get an appointment with your doctor due to conflicting schedules or being scheduled out so far because everyone else needs to be seen.
Has going to the doctor ever turned out to be a very stressful experience?
It doesn’t have to be if you set up an agenda before visiting. Here I will provide a few helpful tips to make your doctor’s appointment hassle free.
Creating a doctor appointment checklist is important for better managing your care team.
(NOTE: Prepare for your doctor visit by considering this downloadable checklist .)
“A patient-centered visit with agenda setting is more like a partnership, rather than the patient or the doctor running the show. [The patient-centered visit with agenda setting makes for a] tone of collaboration.” – The California Quality Collaborative, 2010
- First and foremost, you will need to rehearse what you want to discuss with your doctor or have a list written up. This is very beneficial for both you and your doctor, why, because you and your doctor will have time for more discussion and questions. This will help you stay on track and avoid unrelated conversations.
- When you have a doctor’s appointment always be on time to avoid adding more issues. When you go for your doctor’s appointment, ensure to start the conversation off with your top concerns. This avoids stress and pressure on both parties and will make the process move along quickly and efficiently.
- When you visit your doctor make sure you either have your medications with you or keep a list of them with the milligram and dose you take. It may be hard for you to remember all the medicines you are taking by names and doses. Carrying them with you will help avoid confusion and will help your doctor be of more help.
- Always know your symptoms before going in for a doctor’s appointment. Being able to be thorough in explaining your symptoms will help your doctor determine what next steps need to take place.
- One final note, you can always book your doctor’s appointment online. This might not only speed up the process to get you in, but it can be more convenient for you. This can also help you stay connected with your doctor before your appointment.