Most of us have a basic understanding of what digestion is, which is the process of breaking down food by mechanical and enzymatic action in the digestible channel into substances that can be used by the body, but a lot of us never really focus in depth on the actual process until unusual things happen that disturb our comfort level or everyday cycle.
Digestion is carried out by many processes from the body to break down the food that we eat into several other components. The body breaks down foods and extracts the proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, fats as well as calories and distribute it in the body as per the requirement of each individual and then the rest goes to waste.
These vitamins and other healthy components basically supply the right amount of strength and energy that is required for normal and healthy physical and mental growth. Another term that goes side by side with digestion is metabolism, which is a process that converts the foods and drinks we take into different forms of energy.
See below various types of foods that help in improving the digestion process.
Foods that work wonders for digestion:
- Probiotics and Prebiotics: One of the best foods to improve digestion are found in this category. These are found primarily in yogurt and cheese, which is very good as it consists of the healthy bacteria that is required to digest the food and keeps the harmful bacteria at a distance.
- Foods rich in fiber: Foods that are rich in fiber prove to be extremely helpful in digestion. These foods include fruits and vegetables. We should take care of the fact that eating vegetables and incorporating fruits in everyday meals is a must. For example, bananas have a lot of fiber which helps in digestion and it also contains high levels of potassium that restores the energy level in body. Similarly, ginger and Zucchini can also be regularly used for better digestion and detoxification. However, one must also keep this in mind that going to extreme levels in both cases can backfire leaving you in a very uncomfortable position which I’m sure no one ever wants.
- Whole grains: Foods involving whole grains such as oats, brown rice, whole-wheat itself and whole-wheat bread all consist of fiber and can be a very good source of digestion. Foods containing these are also super filling and one can go on without eating anything for a longer period of time as compared to other products, but then again, excessive intake can result in problems, so one needs to be careful about that.
- Meat and Fish: If you are craving for meat, then best options are fish and chicken. These are low in fats as well as easy to digest unlike red meat. Wild Alaskan Salmon is a great choice for example that will keep your taste buds as well as your tummy happy.
- Last, but not least, take a good digestive supplement. This one has been given a 5 star rating. Check it out here.
Apart from the foods that help in digestion, one must also consider bringing some change to the lifestyle, which can help in better digestion, metabolism and eventually better healthy. These could be eating meals in small portions, chewing food properly and having balanced diet throughout the week.
- One should drink a lot of water, which helps in breaking down the food.
- Similarly, going out for walk after a meal especially at nights needs to become a habit.